As part of the TOP TENS Exhibition curated by Elpida Karaba within the framework of UbuWeb in Athens curated by Ilan Manouach & Kenneth Goldsmith
16.03.2018 – 18.03.2018
- Peggy Ahwesh, She Puppet (2001)
- Kathy Acker, Pussy (1994)
- Richard Serra, Television Delivers People (1973)
- The Other's language: Jacques Derrida Interviews Ornette Coleman, 23 June 1997 (printout)
- Howardena Pindell, Free White and 21 (1980)
- Laurie Anderson, Difficult listening hour
- Sun Ra, A Joyful Noise (1980)
- Yvonne Rainer, Hand Movie (1934)
- Cornelia Sollfrank, I dont know (1968/2006)
- People Like Us/ Vicki Benett, No One Is An Island (2016)
Different starting points lie behind the selection of these 10 works. Issues related to identity, authenticity and mediation bring together narratives about gender and blackness, originality and copyrights, language and the role of media. Can narratives so different from one another have a common ground of reference? Possible connecting (meta)threads can be found in how forms of discrimination, limitations and borders are tackled within these works and how they can be transcended.
Words, sounds and moves formulate stories, discussions and worlds that refer to asymmetries, possibilities and claims. Experimentations, try-outs and mixings point to much needed ways of thinking, acting and being together. Maybe in the arbitrariness of a top 10 one can see the potential for heterogeneous connections and transgressions. After all, this specific ranking is not so important. The order only manifests one possible way of experiencing these works and of reflecting upon topics of vital importance that recur within and beyond the world of art.